Castor Oil Packs
Instructions For Use
- Prepare 3 layers of cotton flannel. Cut the cloth into on 6” by 8” sheet (approximately) to cover an average size target. The packs can be smaller or slightly larger (up to 12” x10”).
- Cut a plastic sheet. Cut a plastic sheet so it is somewhat larger than the flannel cloth. The plastic is used to protect the heating pad from getting oily. Using a plastic garbage bag normally works fairly well, but it is best to avoid using plastic grocery bags, since they usually have ink printed on one side which can dissolve and spread when exposed to castor oil.
- Saturate cloths with castor oil. Place the flannel cloth on top of the plastic sheet. Then saturate it with castor oil (about 1 tablespoon). The cloth should be wet but not dripping. The saturated cloth should then be placed directly on the skin with the plastic sheet on top of it. Your plastic sheet should cover the entire exterior of the saturated flannel, since castor oil is likely to stain any fabric it touches.
- Place heating pad over plastic sheet. Then place a heating pad over the top of the plastic sheet on either a low or medium setting, or higher if it is comfortable. The heat will promote absorption, increase circulation, and help the body to relax. This is generally left in place for approximately 30 to 60 minutes (up to 1 ½ hours). You may place a bath towel over the top of the heating pad to help hold in heat and use an elastic ‘ace’ bandage to hold it in place.
- Taking a drainage formula immediately after using a castor oil pack; helps to gently cleanse acidic secretions that may be released after the castor oil pack.
- Wash off area. After using the castor oil pack, cleanse the skin using a wash cloth and a small amount of a non-chemical soap. Washing the area helps clear acidic waste products which may have been released.
Castor oil pack without heat. An alternative method is to apply the castor oil pack without heat, using a towel wrapped around the body and held in place with ab ‘Ace” bandage. This can be left on for several hours, overnight or for an entire 24 hour period.
Do not re-use the same castor oil pack. During the course of a session, the pack gradually absorbs waste products. Therefore, after each use, please discard the pack. It is not recommended to try to wash out the pack for re-use.
Frequency of castor oil packs. In general, the castor oil packs are used 2 to 4 times per week, for 30 to 60 minutes per session, for 3 to 6 weeks or longer. At first, it may work better to skip a day in between the use of each pack, rather than using them on consecutive days.
Sensitive people. You may want to use the packs on alternating days for the first week or so and for smaller amounts of time (15 to 30 minutes only per session). Later, the packs may be used more frequently for longer periods of time.
Cleansing reactions. These are rare but sometimes a rash may develop. If they occur, please temporarily stop or decreased the frequency and/or length of time the packs are being applied.
Castor oil packs help release internal waste products and cannot be used too much. Many people choose to continue to use them periodically throughout their lives.